Enable Ability is established as an independent charity for the care, welfare and advancement of people with disabilities living in Portsmouth and the surrounding area. We work in partnership with disabled children and adults, their families and carers to provide a range of high quality, professional and confidential services.
As a charity that provides services to people with disabilities, we aim to be as inclusive as we can and actively represent the Voluntary and Community Sector through membership to the multi-agency SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities) Board set up by the Local Authorities to establish and implement a ’removing Barriers to Inclusion Plan’ for the locality a large part which relates to the development of inclusive and integrated services.
We aim to support and enhance the aspirations of our service users and staff in their key life opportunities which they express as:
- To have a job
- To have a relationship
- To live independently
- To be able to have a holiday or participate in activities of their choice and interest
We actively support the SEND Board-Inclusion Group, to this end we encompass their definitions and aims listed below:
Definition of Inclusion
Attitudes, means, and methods that ensure as many people with disabilities can actively progress towards their aims and aspirations. Enabling them to benefit from training, with support if necessary, to ensure that they can make progress in their learning, build and maintain positive social and family relationships, develop emotional resilience and make successful transitions in their life journey.
We want to support all service users in Portsmouth to…
- Feel included and part of their community
- Be valued / not discriminated against (appreciating diversity)
- Have equal opportunities
- Have positive attachments and social / family relationships
- Make successful transitions
- Develop emotional resilience and positive self esteem
- Aspire to live independently and participate in society
- Achieve their potential
- Be physically, emotionally and mentally healthy
- Be safe
- Be heard
In order to achieve this we will…
- Create an environment that is welcoming to all.
- Support children and young people to develop skills and resilience to overcome barriers
- Work together across services
- Respect and value children and young people as individuals
- Develop the skills, knowledge and competence of the workforce.
- Work together across whole organisations to challenge bullying and discrimination.
As an inclusive and responsible employer we apply the same objectives and standards in our employment and consideration of staff needs.