URGENT: Enable Ability will be taking over the day-to-day running of Landport Community Centre in Charles Street, Portsmouth from 1st July 2019. We require a dynamic individual to take responsibility for re-establishing it as a vibrant and active resource in the local community whilst supporting the charity’s objectives to develop a social enterprise that will support people with disabilities to gain employability skills. This is an exciting opportunity for an appropriately qualified and suitably experienced individual at a time that marks the beginning of a new era for both Enable Ability and Landport Community Centre. As well as the everyday tasks associated with the running of the venue the post holder will be expected to take a pro-active role in engaging with the local community to help the centre to fulfil its potential and respond to identified needs.
Job title: Administrator
Job type: Permanent
Job hours: 30.00 hours per week
Job Location: Landport Community Centre
JOB PURPOSE: To re-establish Landport Community Centre as a vibrant and active part of its immediate community, offering a broad range of services to its residents, and to act as a champion for the Community Centre, Enable Ability’s service users and the wider community.
Job specific duties
• You will maintain the centre’s administrative and other records, including those relating to the operation of the centre, and ensure all financial information is available for the treasurer
• You will be responsible for the recording of income and expenditure, the preparation of monies for banking and the operation of the petty cash system.
• You will be expected to provide regular updates for the relevant Website pages as well as Facebook and other social media
• The role will require you to be pro-active in communicating with potential users through newsletters, social media and direct contact
• You will act as Secretary as required, organising meetings, taking minutes, dealing with correspondence and general related administrative tasks.
• You will supervise the other staff on site, maintaining staffing rotas, leave and sickness
• As a Community Champion you will engage with the local community to establish and develop a centre that is responsive to their needs and priorities
(a) Security of premises, including security checks on opening or closing the centre.
(b) Responsibility for the centre when rota'd as duty staff member.
(c) Preparation of rooms for use by centre users as necessary.
(d) Reception duties including giving information, taking bookings, answering phone enquiries, taking messages and handling of cash.
(e) Emergency cleaning if required.
(f) Supervision of trainees, students or placements as required.
(g) Taking part in the call-out rota for alarm call-outs.
(h) Attending staff meetings as required.
(I) Willingness to participate in training as directed.
(j) Participation in regular support and supervision sessions, including annual appraisals
(k) Observation of confidentiality in sensitive matters.
(l) Promotion of the Enable Ability’s policies concerning Equal Opportunities.
(m) Awareness of responsibilities under Enable Ability’s Health and Safety Policy, taking reasonable steps to ensure the safety of centre users and of any other person or property affected by its operation and to administer first aid if required (having completed the necessary training).
(n) Administering first aid when on duty (once trained)
(o) Any other duties commensurate with the grading of the post that may be required in accordance with the direction of the Enable Ability Manager / Trustees of Enable Ability.
• You will be on the staff cover rota during the centre opening hours – Monday to Friday 9am to 10pm and Saturday and Sunday 9am to 5pm, therefore this post involves some evening and weekend working
• This post requires a satisfactory DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) check at enhanced level
• Additional hours to cover staff absence through leave, training or sickness may be required
This post is exempt from the rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, applicants must be prepared to disclose any convictions/cautions they may have and any orders which have been made against them.
Enable Ability has a strict no-smoking policy.